Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Damn the refrigerator!!!

So, apparently my power went out today, as evident by the flashing clocks, and I'm assuming that this power outage somehow jacked up my fridge somehow. Well, it's not ALL broken, only the freezer isn't working. I opened the freezer and some of the food was a little wet, as though the freezer door had been left open and some frost had melted. I accused my wife of leaving the door open and she reminded me about the power outage. Then we both sort of cocked our heads and realized that the power had been on at least since we had gotten home, so the freezer would have been working for at least two hours. There shouldn't be melted anything in there. I picked up a Jello Pudding Pop, which are delicious by the way, and it was just pudding in a little plastic bag. There was no pop to the pudding. Somewhere Bill Cosby shed a tiny little tear.
So, I call Sears to have it fixed, since that's where i bought it. I was informed that my warrenty was over, but I could buy an extended warrenty for $219 right now. She also informed me that the standard price for repair on a fridge is between $160 to $300. She made a couple of guesses as to what could be causing the problem and her little price sheet was not kind to me in those guesses. So...I bought a warrenty. It was a no brainer really. The tech costs a minimum of $59 to come out and look at it. The warrenty is returnable within 60 days and if you have service done before returning it, they deduct the regular price of the service from the refund. So, since I bought the warrenty, if the repair is over $219, then I don't have to pay anything more and I got the repair cheaper. If the repair is significantly less, then I can return the warrenty and essentially just pay for the repair. No brainer. Now, if I could only get them to schedule my repair at a time that would be convenient to ME...

0 comments: