Saturday, February 10, 2007

A new baby in the world

A very close friend of mine had a baby yesterday. His little boy was brought into this world a little after noon. I went by the hospital today to see him, and boy is he cute. Looking at him brought back a wave of feelings. At first, I remembered how little and adorable my kids were when they were born. I remembered the joy I felt in the delivery room when I saw them for the first time. I remember them grasping my little finger in their fists. The little sucking motion they make with their mouths while they sleep is pretty darn cute too. Then I started remembering poop. Lots and lots of poop. Also, the waking up in the middle of the night, several times. I remember the crying that was difficult if not impossible to soothe. I remember having to be so careful and gentle with them. All of a sudden, while I still miss those other things, and I wouldn't trade the experiences I had for anything, I was still glad to give him back. I was glad that it was him going through that first couple of hellacious months where the baby doesn't do much other than eat, sleep, and poop. I'm glad my kids are older and slightly more self sufficient. I'm glad that I'm at where I'm at with my little family. You know what...I've got it pretty good.

0 comments: