Sunday, March 04, 2007

Hollywoodland reviewed

I just finished watching Hollywoodland. In case you're not familiar, it's a movie that just came out on DVD about an investigation into George Reeves' death. George Reeves was the guy who played Superman on the TV series back in the day. His death was ruled a suicide, but there have always been suspicions that there was foul play. This movie doesn't really give you an answer, but it certainly plays to the possibility of a murder or an accident. The movie hops back and forth between the investigation and flashbacks of George Reeves' life. Ben Affleck plays George Reeves, and he does a pretty good job. The big hype about this movie when it first hit the theatres was that this is the movie that is going to revive Ben Affleck's career. They say he's so good in this that it will restore everyone's faith in his acting ability. Well, I don't know about all of that, but he does do a good job. I mean, he still seemed like Ben Affleck, but he was believable as George Reeves. I don't know if it's because they both share the same sadness in their careers or something, but there is a sadness to him that really pulls off the character. It almost makes you wonder if there are moments when you don't see Ben Affleck acting and you're actually seeing him thinking about his own career. Of course, I never thought he was that great, so I never saw a progression of him getting bad. He was never very good to me, so he's always been about the same. I mean, I actually remember seeing him in Chasing Amy and thinking that this guy can't act very well and I'll probably never see him acting in anything else again. Boy was I wrong.
Anyway, Hollywoodland is good. I enjoyed it. It's not action packed and it certainly isn't exciting, but it is interesting. It's slow and methodical, but it's entertaining. If you like that sort of movie, you should check it out. It reminded me a little of The Black Dahlia which came out not too long ago, but it was better than that movie.

0 comments: