Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Who's got time to read anymore...

I love reading books, but I never have the time to do it. I used to read at lunch. I would head out to my car with a sandwich and a soda and read my book for an hour or so. Something changed and I can’t really do that anymore. It’s just not practical anymore. So, I went without for awhile. Then it struck me, I could listen to audiobooks on my 45 minute commute back and forth to work every day. That’s about an hour and a half of quality time with the book, time I would have just wasted listening to music or whatever else to distract me from the fact that I was sitting in traffic. Well, there is only one problem with audio books. They’re expensive. I mean, you generally don’t listen to them more than once, not usually at least. So, they’re sort of a waste of money. You spend $20-$40 on one, it gives you a bit of enjoyment, and then you never listen to it again. I recently borrowed an audiobook of World War Z by Max Brooks from a friend. You can read my thoughts on it in an earlier post. Borrowing is the best way to do it. Well, I found a place that you can borrow audiobooks from for a low monthly fee. The fee is less than you’d pay for an audiobook a month if you were to buy one. The best part is that there are coupons! You can go to Simply Audiobooks and sign up. It seems to be pretty reasonable at $11.95 a month and you can use the previously mentioned coupon to get a free 15 days. Not a bad deal. Of course, I’d prefer to curl up and read…but who’s got time for that these days. It’s much easier to just have someone read it to you.

0 comments: