Saturday, March 24, 2007

What? Is he wearing goggles?

A buddy of mine came into town, so we went out for drinks with the fellas last night. We went to a local sports bar called Hot Shots. Well, it used to be a sports bar anyway. When I told my wife where I was going, she gave me an odd look and said "You're going to a meat factory?" I said "What? No, it's a sports bar." She replied with "That's like saying that Hooters is a family restaurant." Apparently I was out of the loop, because we used to live just behind this particular Hot Shots and I've even had a drink or two in there before, granted it was a few years ago, but still.

So, apparently I AM out of the loop. It was definitely a meat factory. The only thing it was missing was a dance floor. I was shocked. The guys outnumbered the ladies by at least 3 to 1, and nobody was watching sports on the TVs there. Also, if you were a woman at this bar, and you weren't wearing some really tight clothing and not much else, you apparently had no business being there.

So, let me get to the point of my story. There was a guy there, a guy that both myself and my friend could not stop staring at all night. We were fascinated by him. Let me describe his entrance first. He arrived just as we were arriving, and while walking into the bar, he yelled at some woman who was leaving the bar. I did not appear as though he knew this woman, and he yelled some pretty vile things to her. Vile enough to turn our heads in shock, we thought it was about to go down or something. That's when we really took notice of this guy.

Let me give you a description of the guy. He was wearing a Nike Air t-shirt, a pair of Heather gray sweatpants, and what we thought for sure were racquetball goggles. Upon closer inspection, it appears that they were some sort of Gargoyle glasses with clear lenses. It was very odd. I mean...sweatpants. Seriously? Sweatpants?

He was like a train wreck, we just couldn't take our eyes off of him. We wanted to know who he was, why he was there, and most importantly, what was he thinking. Later in the night, we saw something odd happen to him. He raised his beer to the friends he was with and offered a toast. His toast was left hanging, his beer bottle clank was left unreturned. Out of nowhere, my out of town friend jumps to his feet and starts walking over to him. He just walks right up to him and offers him the beer bottle clank his friends didn't give him. He clanked bottles with him and then walked away. It was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. It was funny how he reacted too. He took it as though it was a common event. He looked at my friend, clanked bottles, then went on with his conversation with his friends. It was like this sort of thing happened all the time and it was no big deal. Amazing.

0 comments: