Sunday, March 11, 2007

I watched The Departed

So, I decided to sit down and watch The Departed this weekend. I have to say, I thought it was pretty good overall. I would be lying if I said I wasn't shocked at the ending. I mean, sure, I should have seen it coming with history of the director and all, but I was still shocked. I'm not going to spoil it for everyone who hasn't seen it, so I won't mention what happens. It was a big surprise and I spent the remainder of the movie doing a double take and saying "Woah" ala Keanu Reeves in...well, any of his movies. Near the beginning, there were a couple of spots with some odd editing choices that seemed just kind of jumbled up and confused. Other than that, the movie was very well done. The setup of the movie is basically that you have two state police cadets in the academy around the same time, but not actually in classes together. One was basically raised by the mafia kingpin and the other is pulled early from the academy to go undercover to bring down the mafia kingpin. The only thing is that he'll have to drop from the academy, actually go to jail, and be completely disgraced on paper so that the mafia kingpin guy will believe he is actually a crook. Only two cops know his true identity, everyone else thinks he a common crook. Well, the whole storyline is basically a cat and mouse game between these two moles. One in the mafia who is actually a cop and the other in the police who is actually working for the mafia. They are both trying to figure out who each other are the whole movie. It's pretty good and pretty tense in some spots. Everyone does a supurb job in acting. I recomend this movie to anyone who likes a good undercover cop story, or to anyone who liked Goodfellas and the like.

0 comments: