Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bringing someone new into Digital Photography

As of this minute, I have 5943 digital pictures stored on my hard drive. Roughly three quarters of them were taken with my Nikon D50 and the rest were mostly taken with my previous camera, a Sony Cybershot.

I have to tell you, I LOVE my D50. There is a world of difference going from a point and shoot to a DSLR. Of course, there is a world of difference going from a film camera to a digital camera, which is exactly what my wife's young cousin is doing.

My wife's cousin is almost 15 and we're going to be going in with his aunt and getting him a digital camera for Christmas. So, I've been scouring the web for the right camera at the right price. While I love my Nikon DSLR, it looks like we're going to go with Canon cameras for the cousin. I like the Powershot for him. It's the right price for what we want to spend and it seems to have all of the features that he'd like. It's also compact enough for him to bring with him on all of his 15 year old adventures, so to speak.

Personally, I'm saving up for a new lens for my Nikon D50. I really want the Nikkor 18-200 VR lens, but it's rather expensive, so I stash a little bit away here and there. I should be able to pick it up in a few months if I'm diligent about saving. Hopefully, that is.

Regardless, digital photography is the future. Heck, it's not even the future, it's the present. Everything is digital today, so I'm glad to be helping to usher my wife's cousin into the digital photography age. I hope he loves digital photography as much as I do.

0 comments: