Monday, November 19, 2007

Sickening

I live just a few minutes away from where THIS happened. I'm completely sickened by this. I have two little girls and feel like I have little hope for their future when I see this kind of thing. Sure, this is an extreme example, but this sort of thing happens all the time.

For those of you just checking in, the article I linked to is about a young girl who lives in O'Fallon, MO who was the victim of a year long hoax by someone she used to be friends with. The worst part is that the whole thing started with the mother of the girl's ex-friend. She created a fictional kid on MySpace to try and find out if the other girl was saying anything negative about her own daughter. The whole thing snowballed until that family decided to end it and did it in a very cruel way. It ended in such a way that the victim of the hoax took her own life.

Now, normally, I'm somewhat less sympathetic of any kind of suicide for selfish reasons. I tend to be somewhat more sympathetic to young teenagers though. I think every teenager jumps right to the suicide conclusion to some sort of heartache they feel, but most come to their senses. I remember my early teens and at that stage of development, sometimes you don't really see the big picture and on top of that, hormones can make you do crazy things. I'm not surprised that every once in a while someone goes through with it. It's just sad when it happens.

I can't imagine something like this happening to one of my girls. They say that the neighbors had to hold the father back from going over and hurting the family who played the hoax. He said he wanted to kill them. I'm not sure I could be talked down.

0 comments: