Saturday, December 30, 2006

Hannibal Rising teaser

So, Amazon.com has the teaser trailer for the latest Hannibal Lecter movie on their site. I watched it and it seems pretty good. I've heard descriptions and reviews of the later drafts of the script and it was a little unimpressive. It seemed like it started well and ended OK, but the middle part was a bit weak and contrived. So, if you read the sequel to Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, then you know about his early childhood and having his sister dragged off in the night only to me made into soup and fed to him. Well, this movie shows that stuff, then shows his escape, then (this is where it gets ridiculous) apparently he finds his long lost aunt who happens to be a Japanese woman who teaches him the ways of the Samurai, then he goes on a revenge driven tour of killing. I get the tortured childhood, most psycho serial killers have them. I also get the revenge driven rampage of killling, as would be expected of the tortured youth (at least in a movie it's expected). The part I don't get, and have never gotten from any other instance of Hannibal Lecter in a movie is the whole Samurai part. I mean, when have you EVER watched Hannibal in a movie and said to yourself "Ah, this guy must have been trained by the Samurai." I pretty much garuntee that you haven't. It's ridiculous. That's like showing a prequel to the Friday the 13th movies and having a teenage Jason being taught how to kill and take hits by champions of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Ridiculous.

0 comments: