Wednesday, December 06, 2006

NBC's Heroes: Great taste but less filling

So, I watched the fall finale for Heroes on Monday. I have very mixed feelings about the show. Not just last Monday’s episode, but the entire show. The thing is, I’m never really satisfied after watching the show. I’m always hungry for more and can’t wait until the next episode. I’m sure you’re thinking “that’s what they’re trying to do, they want to tuning in each week” but here’s the thing, there is a difference in a good cliffhanger and what they’re doing. There are always new questions brought up in each episode that don’t get resolved each week, or even the following week sometimes. They answer a few questions here and there, but mostly they just ask them. There are a lot of characters, so they spend a lot of time jumping around to each of them and the story doesn’t progress very far in each episode. With all of the questions they bring up, they give fewer answers. They’re generating a question deficit is what is happening. I am always frustrated and never satisfied at the end of the show. For me, Heroes always goes the same way each week. It starts and I think “Ok, good, maybe we’ll get some answers this week”, about half way through I think “Alright, that makes sense, that’s interesting, but how did that happen?”, at the end of the show I always think “What? What time is it? It can’t be over yet. We’re just getting started! What?!?” Ever week, it’s the same thing. I start watching the show enthusiastic, I feel slightly satisfied about 15 minutes in, then I’m spun around in a swivel chair for the last 45 minutes and I’m left disoriented, confused, and bewildered, lying on the floor all dizzy. Don’t get me wrong. I love the show. I’m just not satisfied by it. It’s like going to a great restaurant, the atmosphere is great, the food is delicious, and the wine is just right. After you order, the food takes a very long time to come out, but the waiter returns repeatedly to tell you how good the food looks in the back and it will be up any minute now. Then when you get the food, they give you less than half a glass of wine and only a few small morsels of food. Sometimes you get a little larger portion of one side dish, but the plate is always mostly empty. Boy, what they give you is delicious though. That’s what Heroes is to me. The atmosphere is great, the content is delicious, and the acting is just right…but the portions are annoyingly small for the plate they are delivered on.
Anyway, that’s my rant on NBC’s Heroes, you may now return to your regularly scheduled blog reading.

0 comments: