Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Holy freakin' crap!

I was paid my bonus today! I had written it off when I turned in my two weeks. Twice before has someone quit near bonus time and both people were denied their bonus checks. Both people were all pissed off about it too. I was expecting it. I was not pissed because I was expecting to be left out. Well, my boss drops by my desk and slides me an envelope today and tells me not to tell anyone about it. He said I deserved it and that only he and my direct supervisor know about it. So, I went for a walk and visited my supervisor. I shook his hand and thanked him. He told me that I had done a great job in the past year and that he thought I deserved it. He went to the HR manager and asked them to include me in bonuses even though I was leaving. She didn't put up a fight and I was given my cash.

There is a lesson to be learned here. First, do a good job at work. Do a good enough job that when you go to leave, they try everything in their power to keep you. Second, be nice to EVERYONE. I was always nice and personable to my mangers, other people's managers, HR managers, and everyone else who I worked with. Apparently that pays off. People do things for you that go against what a normal company policy would allow.

While by boss and supervisor don't read this blog (at least I hope they don't), I want to publicly say thank you. You've been great and this last little bit has really touched me. Of course, I have to keep quiet else there be dissension in the ranks, so my public thank you is anonymous, but public never the less.

0 comments: