Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Waiting for Vista

So, with all of the money I've built up with my various side jobs, I'm getting awfully close to building my new super computer. Ok, it won't be "super", but it will be really good. I'm spending more money on the PC than I normally do, but that could be because I already have the cash saved up and my side jobs have been more lucrative than I had previously thought they would be. I'm going to be able to afford a nicer computer than I thought I would be able to, AND I'm going to be able to buy it months before I thought it would be able to.
So, my office offers volume license copies of Microsoft Windows Vista Business to it's employees. It's legal, don't worry, it's legal. So, we're allowed to take home and install Windows and Office. I've already got Office 2007 installed and I love it. I've seen Vista a couple of times and it looks equally confusing and very cool. Ok, maybe a little more cool than confusing, but only a little. That little bit more has convinced me to install it on the new PC I'm going to build. So, that's made me double check the stats of my future machine and it will dictate the kind of video card I buy. While I was going to get a dual core, very nice processor and lots of memory, I wasn't going to go crazy with the video card. I don't play many video games these days, and photoshop is more concerned with the processor and memory than the video card. Well, Vista requires that you have a pretty bad ass video card if you want to run Aero, the fancy new graphic interface that Vista sports. Aero is wicked cool, so now I've got to get a decent video card so I can run it. Thanks Microsoft for making my new computer more expensive. Thanks.

0 comments: