Saturday, January 20, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

I went to go see Pan's Labyrinth last night. I have to say, it was pretty good, but not quite as good as I was expecting. As with all foriegn movies, there was something that was lost in translation or something. As much as I like various foriegn films, there is always something that just doesn't jive or doesn't feel right about them. I can only assume it's something that appeals or is understood by the intended audience and not by me. This movie was no exception. The effects and creatures were really good, but sometimes they looked a bit stiff. Also, the movie was a LOT more violent than I thought it would be. At the end, they don't really give you straight answers, which is one thing that american movies generally do. Generally american movies think that the audience is stupid and just tells you everything you need to know. This movie left it up to you whether or not the fantasy world existed or only existed in the little girl's head. Overall, I would suggest it, but be prepared for a fairly violent movie.

0 comments: