Friday, January 26, 2007

Room 1408

On a long roadtrip, my wife and I borrowed some audio books from the library. My wife knew that I liked Stephen King and got an audio book called Blood and Smoke. I found out that this is not an audio reading of a book of his, but this was stuff that he wrote for audio only. We listened and mostly enjoyed them. The stories were good and they all had some remote connection to smoking or quiting smoking. Well, my favorite story from that collection was called 1408 and it was a short story about a writer of "haunted location" books who traveled around and stayed in haunted locations, then reviewed them. Well, almost exactly half of this story is just the writer and the manger of the hotel sitting in the manger's office while the manager tries to convince the writer not to go in the room. Let me tell you, he is VERY convincing. I mean, when he was done and the writer persists, I was talking to my radio saying "don't go in the room, man!" I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but...he goes in the room. The second half of the story is of him in the room. It could almost be told in real time, that's how short his stay in the room is. It's creepy as all hell and is probably one of my very favorite Stephen King stories. Well, now they've made a movie about it. John Cusack is the writer and Sam Jackson is the hotel manager. I just got this link to the trailer. You've GOT to check this out. If it's HALF as good as the audio book, it should be one HELL of a creepy movie.

0 comments: